March 4, 2009
Today was quite interesting. After Spanish class in which I had an oral exam AND written exam that I think I did decently on, I went directly home with Don Henry…or so I thought I would. We dropped one of the guys from the Nehemiah Center off at the bus stop and then drove for a long time before coming to a store finally that Don Henry went into. I was in the car forEVER…but not really…and then he came out with a satchel for his computer. He had been looking for one the previous day as well but after a couple stores…they were just too expensive. When he came out he asked me if I knew much about digital cameras because he wanted to get one. I said I knew a little bit about it but when he mentioned the name of the camera he had been looking at I was not familiar with the name…I think it was Codex or something like that but I told him that my professor Jeff at the Nehemiah Center would know a lot about cameras. Then we went to Metro Center which has a mall there and I thought he was looking for a camera again so I told Henry that I did know SOME about cameras and what is good to have in them and junk like that. We walked for a while and went to what seemed like a dead end…but turned out to be a pet store. I’m thinking, “Why are we in a pet store?” There were a lot of birds, some cute dogs, rabbits, and maybe a few other animals. Don Henry picked out a rabbit to my surprise and handed it to me while the lady got a box for us. I asked Henry who the rabbit was for and it was for Belen, his granddaughter who lives within the surrounding houses who is just under 3 years old. Then on our way home we went past some government building and a very important looking convoy of cars exited right in front of us escorted by the police and everything. Don Henry said that it was the president of something or somewhere but I don’t know who it was. I asked if it was the president of Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega, but it was not. I’m not sure if Belen liked the rabbit when we got home but she is still afraid/shy around me which is disappointing. She was warming up to me a little bit before I left for Costa Rica and Blas said that she even wondered where I was while I was gone, but seems that my progress has regressed with this little girl who I guess just can’t get over the strangeness of a giant gringo in her home. I had a great time of talking with Blas and Jacqueline and Raquel and Sarai even joined as I taught Jacqueline a little English. She wanted to learn how to say you didn’t want something when someone is trying to sell you their merchandise so I translated “No quiero comprar eso” into “I don’t want to buy that!” It was quite humorous as they all tried to pronounce the English…Sarai is probably the best at getting the correct vowel sound and accent. So there is my uncommon and interesting day for you…or rather for me…to tell YOU about.
No comments:
Post a Comment