Friday, January 16, 2009

December 30, 2008

Today was quite interesting. After leaving Chicago to Manchester, England at 5:30 PM we arrived in Manchester at 7:30 AM which would be 2:30 AM in MI and OH and I didn't sleep at all on the flight. The headrests were too short for me and with no leg room I found it most difficult to sleep and very uncomfortable. In Manchester, we did some researching and then headed via train to go eat some breakfast away from the airport. I had a classic English breakfast called the Breakfast Special which was made up of toast, a fried egg, baked beans, sausage, mushrooms (didn't eat those...sick), something else I can't remember and all that will some English coffee. We stopped at a bakery for some pastries and drinks and then headed back to the airport. Another looooong 8 hour flight ensued leaving Manchester at 1:30 PM and arriving in Dubai at 12:45 AM Dubai time, 10:45 PM Manchester time and 5:45 PM Ohio time! I stayed up more than 24 hours but it was much more comfortable on Emirate Airlines than American Airlines! I watched Eagle Eye on my personal movie screen and even got some sleep with the increased legroom and a headrest that actually could be adjusted to my head height! We finally got into Dubai and into bed by 4 AM at the place we stayed in with our new friend Jaco. We woke up at 10 AM very much refreshed by the much needed sleep. Upon entering the van which became our second home because we traveled so much, we ventured to the church and met with the youth pastor, John, and some of the other people that would be helping with the youth group's lock-in for New Year's that we too would be helping with. We met Wes, Johnny, Shehan and Jamaila who were our co-leaders and then headed off to Al Safa park to play ultimate Frisbee with the youth group. It was so much fun but most of us got very sweaty and ... "a-stinky". James (the other Cornerstone male student) got his lips busted open pretty deep with a Frisbee during the game but wanted no stitches or pity!

So before we got to Dubai, we had all joked about how James and I would have to end up sleeping together...then we got to the place we were staying and sure enough we were sharing a nice big queen sized bed which we found quite humorous. It's quite comfortable and nothing awkward happened so all is good! After Ultimate Frisbee we showered up and then went out to eat with Sharri and Leandi who were from South Africa, as is Jaco, with whom we are staying. It is truly amazing how different cultures are! Leandi was very inquisitive about out lives in the US and the way of life there: schools, churches, politics, accents, etc. I'd never had the opportunity or the need to really explain our culture and way of life and it really makes you think about the things we do and why we do them. Then we met Leandi's brother Solomon and his first girlfriend Leslie. Solomon is a passionate believer at age 22 and is VERY passionate about music and even has a CD out which I now have! For the first time he has considered dating I guess and his girlfriend Leslie is a flight attendant for Emirate Airlines. We looked around the restaurant we ate at, Dome, and looked in several shops in the area. They had lots of wood furniture along with clothing and old trinkets. Then James and I went back to Jaco's apartment in the Gardens, whom we had yet to even meet and went to bed! We went to bed at 11:20 PM and had a 7:ooAM rise! Good night!

No comments: